May ‘22’ Road Trip - Day 2 (Chesterfield to East Yorkshire)
After an evening in Chesterfield, a bright dry and warm morning sent me 10 miles west of the city to an area I have visited before, Beeley Moor above Chatsworth House. The first target species was the magnificent Red Grouse but I only had an hour to spend as I was hoping to get to Bempton Cliffs in East Yorkshire by midday.
Having achieved my objective and sensing few more photographic opportunities in the short term, it was heads down and a speedy course was set for coastal East Yorkshire but not before passing a Curlew that was kerbside and unbothered by the car’s presence. Vehicles make such good hides but their only drawback is you rarely get the opportunity for an impromptu stop, when an opportunity arises and even rarer to have equipment to hand to capture the moment adequately. This shot was courtesy of my wife’s IPhone.
Other birds are regularly seen over the cliffs, and this day was no exception, with the occasional Herring gull, Jackdaw and good supply of feral pigeons, which I am assured are not Rock doves, despite carrying the plumage.
However, their numbers are kept in check by the presence of Peregrine Falcons. This female was on her second visit of the day and probably feeding the future ‘cliff rangers’.
However, the quest of the visit was to see ‘Albie’, a Black Browed albatross, which has been visiting the cliffs here for the last 3 years. I had been fortunate to see ‘Albie’ a month ago with my good pal, Rick but my wife, Lyn and I had missed it on our previous visits, the first year by only one day. Albie has been here since March, the earliest visit so far and obviously the mating urge is growing stronger.
(Photo taken last month)
Normally resident in the South Pacific, there is a remote possibility that Albie will find a partner here but as they usually are attracted by Gannet colonies in their normal part of the world, like the Falklands, Bempton offers the best likely venue.
But alas, today we were not lucky! Albie was regularly visiting the cliffs but not whilst we were atop the platforms.
I did see it at distance but only with the help of a fellow birder with a scope, about a mile out in the sea but this was of little consolation.
Day 2 over and we made our way back to the visitor centre, admiring the resident population of Tree sparrows, another species in decline!




























Comments
Post a Comment